<VV> CORSA conventions

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 14:13:01 EDT 2006

I agree with Smitty that the convention should be about Corvairs and their
owners.
I've gone to numerous street rod meets that handle 10-100 times the people
we do.
They have the meets at fairgrounds where there is plenty of space to park,
cruise or just hang out with fellow car owners.
The vendors can either be outdoors or in the various buildings usually found
at fairgrounds.
The people can stay wherever they like as the focus of the meet is not on
the hotel but on the cars and owners.
Most fairgrounds have places for campers on site.
Most fairgrounds are out in the "boonies" or far enough away from big cities
that motels are half the price.
If we "must" have a banquet, rent a banquet hall like any wedding does.
These "big city" conventions actually discourage people from bringing their
race cars, project vehicles, Corvair powered airplanes or boats, Ultra Vans
or other vehicles that might be interesting to look at because it is too
congested towing/driving them thru city traffic and when you get there,
parking is usually a problem.
My ideal convention site would be Helen, GA.  In fact I'm going there in a
few weeks to see the Corvairs and celebrate my 39th wedding anniversary.
That being said, I'll probably come to Buffalo but think it could have
better out of the big city somewhere.  I have nothing against Buffalo.  I
spent a week at the GMPT Tonawanda Engine Plant baby sitting some machinery
we installed there.  The river area is beautiful.  Of course we stayed at
the Holiday Inn out on Grand Island to avoid the downtown rush!
Clark Hartzel