<VV> Corvair at SAE Show

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 4 21:45:48 EDT 2006

I'm at the Society of Automotive Engineers annual expo in Detroit at
the moment...  Corvair content - There is a 64 Spyder convertible set
up in the exhibition hall right next to a WWI vintage Liberty aircraft
engine (V-12).  Connection?  The display was promoting a talk that was
given today on the first half century of turbocharger development.

It was given by Charles A. Amann, a retired boss from General Motors
Research (google him... he's pretty well known in engine research...
lots of past work on all kinds of alternate engines... steam, Stirling,
gas turbine, etc.).  I had read a number of papers from Amann over the
years, and he always did a great job explaining things.  The talk
proved very interesting, although most of that "first half century"
concerned aircraft, so the Corvair didn't come into the talk until the
very end (along with the Olds F-85).  Amann mentioned that in those
days, the varied divisions of GM were very secretive about their
development work and he hypothesized this is why the Corvair turbo
engine turned out so different from the Oldsmobile:

Olds:  low boost (5psig), high compression ratio (10.25:1), wastegate,
small AirResearch turbo, liquid (50:50 MeOH & distilled H2O) injection

Corvair: high boost (~10 psig), low compression ratio (7:1), no
wastegate, large TRW turbo.

One more bit of Corvair content:  I saw Jay Eitel (Mr. Jaguvair ...
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html) in the talk, but he scooted
out before I could say hello and re-introduce myself to him (having met
him a few years ago).  Eitel was also in attendance at a paper I co-
authored, but I missed him after that as well.  He's fast on his feet!

It was good seeing a Vair on display in the midst of such a load of
high-tech 21st century stuff. Even nicer though was that everytime I
passed it, there was a small crowd of people checking it out and
offering favorable comments.

Jim Burkhard