<VV> Re: Need ALL '64 Conv. weatherstrippings - HELP

sgang54 at aol.com sgang54 at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 16:33:14 EDT 2006

 To give you an idea whats involved in making one of these:
1. Extrusion of the base sponge material (minimum 5,000 ft)
2. machine cutting to length
3. metal insert die cutting or hand fabrication
4. metal insert priming
5. injection molding sponge rubber ends with the inserts.
6. trim and package.
thats if you have the tooling - the old extrusion die and the injection molds
its mostly hand fabrication - starting to get the picture!
Plus the rubber molding industry has mostly left the USA

I worked for a company that did this type of work and am not affiliated with any vendors. I looked at making some parts for myself and the costs were pretty high when tooling and hand layup were involved. The rubber material costs were probably less than a dollar.

Steve Gangi
5 65's and a 63 Van in CT

Message: 2