<VV> 1963 turbo - No boost

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 22:37:52 EDT 2006

I tend to agree with the guys who suggested mechanical advance not working.  My daughter's Spyder developed similar symptoms and we eventually traced it to a frozen advance mechanism.  When you tried to twist the rotor against the advance springs, it would not move.  Turned out to be rust between the parts preventing it from being rotated by the advance weights.  Disassembly, a little scotchbrite work, and lubrication did the trick.

  SNIP:
  <<The only issue is that there is no boost.  This was the same complaint
I had when I took the car to him before all the work was done and it is
still not resolved.  The car revs fine until about 32-3500 RPM and then
it "hits a wall" and will slowly rev more but won't boost and the
acceleration flattens out.  Once up to speed, it runs well at 70 MPH (3500
RPM).>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on