<VV> Engine Stand

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 8 22:45:17 EDT 2006

Hi Bill,

What I did was to build a short table about as wide as the engine and about
half again as long.  The table is basic 2x4 with a plywood top.  It is high
enough so that when I sit in a chair it is within easy reach.  With various
blocks of wood, I can prop the case half up to install bearings, crank, cam.
Once the case is bolted together, I bolt the bell housing into place and
then the engine can stand on the bell housing while I install other
components.  It is easy enough for one person to tip the engine on end or
flat again even with the majority of the parts installed by grabbing the
motor mount at one end, using the bell housing as a pivot point.  I say
"easy" but that is a relative term.  If you find it relatively easy to lift
a sack of concrete, then you should have no problem tippng a fully assembled
engine up on end too.  I usually leave the tranny and differential on the
floor and then with a helper, carry the finished engine over to them.  Once
mated to the tranny and differential, the assemby can be wheel over to the
vehicle on a jack, a Finch cart or slid over on a piece of plywood.  I've
always thought the engine stand method was harder because of the problems
Bob Helt pointed out and the fact you can't install the main bearings, crank
and cam with it on the stand.  I've always thought of an engine stand with
regards to a corvair engine as superfluous.  Kinda like a pilot
bushing/clutch alignment tool.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

<Bill said>