<VV> Re: CORVAIR ENGINE STAND my unapproved methods

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 22:00:06 EDT 2006

i have built / rebuilt / repaired several engines over the years using the
bench method. my jack gets them close enough to the bench hieght that most of
the time i can get them on the bench myself. i can get them onto the jack
fairley well alone from the bench. i like to work at a higher bench than std because
of my bad back. i have one bench with holes drilled in it to accomodate the
studs from one side. this lets me put the crank / cam assembly in easier.i made
the holes by setting a head on the wooden bench made of thick plywood about
3' x 6' on folding legs and drilling thru all the stud holes. i ovaled the
lower holes to let me rock it into place. works very good. then i put the
bellhousing on and set it up on the housing to put pistons  / cylinders on. and
further assemble it. it seems easier to me anyways to do most of the work on the
engine standing up. after i put the pan and top on i set it down to put shrouds
and carbs etc on. then after primeing and checking oil pressure i run it ,
dialing in valves , timing , carbs etc right on the bench. i just finished doing
this  with a new engine for my rampy on a new metal portable (with casters)
bench.  i made an adapter to hold heads and trannys etc on a fixture that spins
with ease and locks in place. the new way to hold the engine for putting the
cam / crank in the block is a pair of wooden wedges that set under the lower
block half holding it at an angle so things go into place and i can reach all of
the crankcase bolts intead of just a couple.
the short of it is , i prefer bench working on vairs and a stand for the V8's
i did before.
i will attemp to post a couple pictures soon on the web picture site courtesy
of our friend thomas stingl
regards tim colson