<VV> So..how about these early wheel bearings?

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Sun Apr 9 18:50:33 EDT 2006

At 06:36 PM 4/7/06, Tim Verthein wrote:

>Alright... it *seems* that the trusty '64 may be in the market for some
>rear wheel bearing work.  Ryan can detect a bit of a low rumble when we
>drive (apparently I'm to deaf to hear it). After trying to figure out what
>the sound was, we finally put the rear on jack stands and put her in gear
>and you can hear a bit of a rumble from the right rear, nothing from the
>left rear. Also, if you grab the wheel and give 'er a good push in and
>out, there's a bit of play that's not present on the other side.

The rumble is trouble, the in-and-out play is REAL trouble.  Park the car.

> From what I can gather, this is not the sort of job for the faint of
> heart.  Machine shop, press, torch, swearing,,

Naah.  Piece of cake to pull the axle from the car, then head off to a
friendly machine shop to have the old bearing pressed off and the new one
pressed on.  Piece of cake to then reinstall in car.

>In the meantime, am I to suspect that driving is a death-defying
>feat?  We're talking a low rumble that to me is hardly discernable.

Well, "hardly discernable" means that it's too late to save the
bearing.  But that in-and-out play that you mentioned means that it's too
late to drive the car.  Time to fix.

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net