<VV> So..how about these early wheel bearings?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Apr 7 23:55:46 EDT 2006

First, you can try and remove the seal from the backside of the bearing
and add wheel bearing grease. If this quiets the noise, it could buy you
some time.

I have changed many a wheel bearing without heat using my Harbor Freight
12 ton press. The real trick is to have a jig (blocks, angle iron,
bearing clamp, something) to grab the puller ring while pushing the axle
out of the bearing. A long pipe of the right diameter to apply pressure
to the inner race while installing the bearing is also very important.
Never press on the race that is not sliding in the bore. Or, never press
on a race that has to divert the pressure through the bearings (balls or
rollers) to the race that needs to move. Clear? Most machine shops have
the accessories to do this. But you might want to find your own pipe.

Most of the bearings I have removed have not been reuseable due to the
destructive forces needed to remove. So normally I just install a used
axle shaft with a good bearing. Greased before installation.

Frank DuVal