<VV> So..how about these early wheel bearings?

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 18:36:06 EDT 2006

Alright... it *seems* that the trusty '64 may be in the market for some
rear wheel bearing work.  Ryan can detect a bit of a low rumble when we
drive (apparently I'm to deaf to hear it). After trying to figure out
what the sound was, we finally put the rear on jack stands and put her
in gear and you can hear a bit of a rumble from the right rear, nothing
from the left rear. Also, if you grab the wheel and give 'er a good
push in and out, there's a bit of play that's not present on the other
side.

Now, I had just commented after seeing Clarks is reproing the early
wheel bearings, that it would be a good idea to replace both of them,
so I know I'm good for basically the rest of my life, so I don't
consider this any sort of crisis.  But I have questions (naturally)....

>From what I can gather, this is not the sort of job for the faint of
heart.  Machine shop, press, torch, swearing,, all words I've heard
associated with this project. Where might one go to have this sort of
job done? I don't suspect that in my immediate area (small town
northern Minnesota) there's anyone who has ever done this before, but
perhaps in Minneapolis/St. Paul?  Wheel bearing gurus....spill forth
your pot of knowledge in this matter so we may press onward.

In the meantime, am I to suspect that driving is a death-defying feat?
We're talking a low rumble that to me is hardly discernable.  I assume
too that it can't be anything else? I swear I had barely noticed this
sound last season. is it possible that it's just normal Corvair noise?
What does a failing wheel bearing actually sound like?

Hints and tips appreciated!

Tim in Bovey

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===