<VV> Alternator question

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 18:43:24 EDT 2006

Gotcha, my squeamishness comes from getting bitten by an alternator on a
test stand, no battery, 3450 RPM, and it was pumping out over 100 volts! There
may be no field excitation, but there was enough magnetism in the rotor to zap
my unsuspecting behind! A clip lead to ground stopped it, and that 16 gage
wire  didn't even get warm.
The diodes in most automotive alternators have a reverse breakdown  voltage
of well under 100 volts, usually 50 volts peak inverse.

In a message dated 4/11/2006 6:38:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,