<VV> Tire Pressure (Kinda Corvair content)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Apr 15 23:07:28 EDT 2006

At 04:45 PM 4/15/06 -0400, Kirk Eck wrote:

>If I put larger or for that matter even smaller tires
>on my car how do I determine the tire pressure I
>should run?  I know on a vair the front should have
>less pressure than the back but how much is enough, if
>say all 4 tires have a maximum of 44 PSI?

As a general rule you should run the highest inflation pressure possible to
get best fuel economy, but not so much that vehicle ride and handling are
affected (safety) or that excessive wear occurs.  If you place larger or
smaller tires on a vehicle, some adjustment to inflation pressures might
have to be may be made based on the load carrying capacity of the tires.  A
larger tire with greater load capacity might perform best with
proportionally less inflation pressure than the stock size, but you will
have to experiment to be sure.

For the specific situation of the Corvair (car), the rear tires need to run
pretty close to their maximum inflation pressure and the front tires about
10 PSI less.  For the most common stock radial replacement sizes,
P175/80R13 or P185/80R13 with 35 PSI max, this typically works out to 20-25
PSI front and 30-35 PSI rear.  These same pressures also work well with
standard load P185/70R14 or P195/70R14 tires (much greater selection, but
need 14" wheels) that are the same OD as the stock tires.

It seems that you are considering a set of speed rated tires for your
Corvair which often have higher maximum inflation pressures than standard
tires.  There is such a set on my wife's '65 Monza: Pirelli P4000
195/70R14's rated for maximum load at 44 PSI.  In this case inflation
pressures are adjusted upward in correspondence with the tires' maximum
inflation pressure. I keep the tires on her car at 30 PSI front and 42 PSI
rear.

>   On a new
>car if I beef up the tires what do i do to detemine
>the correct pressure?

For best balance of fuel economy, tire life and handling safety it is best
to run the manufacturers recommended tire pressures.  I assume that this
question regards installation of larger tires that have the same maximum
inflation pressure (not recommended on newer cars because it interferes
with vehicle speed calculations for the engine management computer).  In
such case I would use the same pressures as used for the original tires but
take note of tire wear and make adjustments as necessary.  If the new tires
have a higher maximum inflation pressure (but same load capacity) then
simply increase the running pressures proportional to the difference in max
inflation (like the example above).

Clear as mud, eh?

If you have a particular tire or application in mind, please e-mail me
off-list and I will try to help you out.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.