<VV> Unsafe At Any Speed

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 14:30:22 EDT 2006

 Bill Said: <snip>
"Okay, I'll present the other side of the coin. Yes, cars were not as
safe as they needed to be. BUT it was the market and not Government
deciding what was important. Exactly what Constitutional right did the
Government have to step in and dictate safety standards? If the public
wanted safer cars, they could have demanded them via the market."
and .....
"Overnight (Jan 1, 1968) two entire classes of cars were completed wiped
out in the US. Small lightweight economy cars and low slung sports cars,
both of which are arguably better for the environment and the consumer
than the underpowered land yachts which resulted.  Further, the
specifications (DOT and EPA) changed so quickly (once the Govt had power
it used it) that American carmakers could barely survive while the
imports could more readily design to the new standards vice improving
existing product (as had been the standard industry practice)."
<unsnip>

What right did the govt have?  Auto safety was pretty grim in then; Nader's
book was a turning point. The public got up in arms and our elected
representatives drafted and passed the Auto Safety Act of '66 which also created the
NHTSA.  Govt by the people - a perfect example.

Exactly what part of 1-1-68 eliminated low slung sports cars?  The British
stuff failed in the market, not 'cus of govt regs.  They failed in the market
due to cars like the 240Z and 914.  Both low slung sports cars that happened to
also run on rainy days... for years (and they didn't leak rainwater)

Regs didn't change quickly - automakers simply fought them instead of jumpin'
on the bandwagon. They lost.  I don't recall any measure that we (I was an
automotive development engineer) didn't have adequate lead time to match.  (The
'73 bumper regs, way B4 my time- those started out pretty grimly though)

Why the sour grapes?
craig