<VV> Unsafe At Any Speed

Charles Lee at Prop Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Apr 16 16:13:39 EDT 2006

Nadir (sic) simply used the Corvair because it was different, and knew that,
if you tell the car-buying public that something is bad because it is
different, they swallow the bait completely, and they did.

Nadir tries it wish VW and they did not capitulate, nor did VW send hookers
to compromise good ol' Ralphie, VW hit him head-on (pun intended ?) and
Ralph backed down.

GM tried the hooker gambit and lost big-time, and looked like they had
something to hide, which they most assuredly did not, at least when it came
to the Corvair !

My 1965 Corvair Corsa convert saved my life when in 1968 I rear-ended a 1958
T-bird at 60 MPH on the driver's side front end.

Had I been driving my then new 1968 Camaro, I may not have been so fortunate
?  I'd like to see a Camaro in a similar crash (not really "like," but just
to compare.)

The Corvair's biggest safety feature, its welded front end, did not fall
apart on impact and crushed like a big metal air bag !

http://www.ProperProPer.com/Corvairs/Tbird.htm

Anyway, I've loved them ever since ! I have never driven such an enjoyable
car !

What killed the Corvair was that it cost so much (90 cents per dollar
compared to 75 cents ?) to make, and Nadir actually caused the Corvair to
live longer, since GM didn't want to "admit guilt" by discontinuing the
object of Nadir's derision.