<VV> NHTSA 2004 no real Corvair

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 17 01:44:18 EDT 2006

NHTSA 2004 national Traffic Fatalities 42,636 reported as Traffic
crash victims. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
then go to "research".

Chuck Armer

ps. In 2000 the "Cost" including human lives was $230.6 BILLION so
you do the math and figure how
many dollars each life was worth which of course doesn't measure the
real losses to family and community.
As I said originally "and the beat goes on and on"

At 11:36 PM 4/16/2006, frank DuVal wrote:

>The market would have never asked for the saftey features, that are
>now mandated, in great numbers. I can see there is a cost for these
>saftey features. I am not pleased with the cost of new cars or the
>fact  that I can not buy a new car comparable to my 1969 Subaru 360.
>But then again I'm not sure I want my 16 year old daughter to drive
>the Subaru until she gets more experience out on the road.
>
>Is the cost worth the lives saved? What is a human life worth? Yours
>for instance. Or a close family member.
>
>How many lives? Back in the 1960's I recall automobile death totals
>being over 50,000 people per year. Now there are a lot more drivers
>in this country (possibly double or more) and a lot more miles
>driven (again double or more per driver per year). So the death rate
>per mile is probably a fourth or less of the rate in the 60's. That
>is 160,000 people per year still alive compared to the 60's rate.
>These numbers do need to be researched to make sure they are
>reasonable, as they sound farfetched even to me. But the point is
>made, we are not saving just 10,000 people per year.

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD