<VV> Not quite

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Apr 17 02:41:42 EDT 2006

At 04:09 hours 04/16/2006, Padgett wrote:

>>"Overnight (Jan 1, 1968) two entire classes of cars were completed wiped
>>out in the US. Small lightweight economy cars and low slung sports cars,
>
>Not really, they just evolved. The Vega/Pinto series were both
>intended for the '70s and were smaller than the Corvair/Falcon. That
>both the Pinto and the Vega had fatal flaws

Now:    For sake of mention...

The Pinto was not "fatally flawed".   The so-called fire hazard was
trumped up to a severe degree, mainly because the Pinto was a very
popular car and that made it a target, just like the Corvair.

By the way...   more people have been burned to death in Mustangs
than Pintos.   More people have been burned to death in Crown Vics
than in Pintos.    Ford built a freakin' LOT of Pintos, two million
in fact.    Fewer than 60 people died from burns in Pinto crashes
regardless of the circumstances.

More people have died from fires in 1st gen Mustangs, and almost that
many in the Crown Vic platform (Merc Marquis and Lincoln Town Car)
than have died in Pintos.    The lowly Pinto actually has no more
percentage of deaths on average from fires than many other cars.

I myself have several burned up Fieros in junkyards.   I've seen a
few Brit cars in junkyards burned up.  I have seen a burned out
Mustang (hit in the rear) in a junkyard.   I've never seen a burned
Pinto anywhere.

The Pinto "fire" crash tests done by the gubmint were about as
believable as the Chrysler Minivan hatch crash tests.    Both were
bogus... as if they were bound and determined to find flaws one way
or another.

Just thought I'd mention it.   I'd drive a Pinto anywhere (and have),
no problem.

tony..