<VV> RE: Unsafe at any speed.

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Mon Apr 17 10:08:43 EDT 2006

<snip
We really are departing the world of Corvair with this but, I agree with
Chuck big time on this.  It's one of the  main reasons why I think state
safety inspections are bunk.  99% of all accidents are caused by the same
thing, a loose nut behind the wheel.  Safety inspections don't inspect for
that.  All the airbags and ABS and traction control and etc won't help one
bit if you just drive thru a red light or drive up someone's butt tailgaitin
to you heart's content.  I don't know what will fix that.

mike

<snip>

With the exception of ABS and maybe traction control, few of the new safety
feature enhance accident avoidance.  Just survivability.  In that sense the
only thing we're missing on the Corvair for accident avoidance is ABS.  I
sometimes wonder how many drivers takes bigger risks because subconsciously
know they have air bags, ABS, rollover protection, etc.  So they're running
late, bored, or overconfident.  They think go for it.  "Even if I screw up
really bad I'm probably not gonna die."

I still remember the woman parking in a McDonalds with her new 5 mph bumper
knocking into a pole.  She just turned and looked me with a big goofy grin
on her face.

Possible fix for the nut behind the wheel is self-guided cars on the
highways.  They won't speed, go too slow, or cut in and out of traffic
causing accidents.

Steve