<VV> Ignitor II Ignitions and Flamethrower II coils

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Apr 17 10:53:41 EDT 2006

I know that we have discussed the wiring of the Ignitor ignition for
years (with me strenuously promoting the fact that the majority of
Ignitor failures and poor performance comes from Ignitors wired to the
resistor wire (at the coil) vice to a "pure" 12+V source) but
recognizing that the 3.0 ohm Flamethrower coil still needed the reduced
voltage from the resistor wire... in acknowledged disagreement with some
of the experts here...)

It's been a while since I installed an Ignitor... yesterday I installed
an Ignitor II with a Flamethrower II 0.6 ohm coil.

The new instructions give two ways of installation. The preferred method
was to bypass the resistor wire/ballast resistor and provide BOTH the
Ignitor II AND the coil with a direct 12v power source.

However, the secondary way now allows for use of the resistor
wire/ballast resistor supplying BOTH the Ignitor II and coil with the
reduced voltage.

Due to the complexities of my install (in my Corvair-powered Westy...
not stock Corvair wiring by any means... it appears that more than just
the coil was being fed from the ballasted voltage) I went ahead and used
the wiring already in place to provide reduced voltage to the points and
factory coil. The results were extremely good...

If I can come up with an easy wiring solution that will allow for the
ready return to points on the side of the road, I'll try to feed the
system a full 12V and see if I get even better performance.

(Besides having variable dwell the Ignitor II also has two failsafes
built in... one that powers down the Ignition if you leave the key on
without the engine running (one of the primary ways to kill an Ignitor
I) and if you miswire the ignition. Well worth the additional cost of
the Ignitor II (IMO) but likely not worth upgrading a properly working
Ignitor I.)

My reason for posting this is that the new system design negates much of
our previous discussion on the issue.

Bill