<VV> Re: Oil use

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Mon Apr 17 23:02:15 EDT 2006

I can't speak to all the "SuperTech" oils, but I can at least address the
10w30 Synthetic (silver bottle), which is easily the cheapest
over-the-counter synthetic oil going - around $2.70/quart most places.

It's a perfectly good oil.  It seems to weep and/or creep more than some
other synthetics, but it does have all the normal synthetic oil
characteristics - better cold pumping, better thermal resistance, and
better viscosity management than petroleum oils.  I ran it for over 180,000
miles year-round in a Toyota Corolla which was still in good running order
when I wrecked it at 218,000 miles.  the 1.8L 7AFE engine had the same oil
consumption and emissions numbers it had at 70,000 miles.  The fuel economy
went up compared to petroleum just as it is supposed to do when running a
synthetic oil.  Once I saw the oil study at
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html I decided to
switch to an extended change cycle.  The last 108,000 miles was done with
an 8,000 mile change interval.

I suspect that running the SuperTech synthetic in a Corvair would probably
result in lots of topping up due to oil mist lost through the
breather.  It's a perfectly good oil otherwise.

- Rad Davis

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_