<VV> Powerglide questions

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 18 21:59:32 EDT 2006

Hi Ken,

Well,  I just finished going through my first Corvair PG transmission.
Actually, the first automatic transmission I've ever rebuilt.  In the
process of trying to figure out what the best engine configuration,
differential gearing and tire combination was right for our UltraVan I
overlooked one key element.  The Torque Converter Slip!!  Even though the
transmission gearing in high is 1:1, you never get that to the differential
input.  As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I get this
wrong, the torque converter at maximum transfer still slips about 6 - 8
percent.  This means the engine turns 6-8 percent faster than it would if
were connected directly (1:1) to the differential like a standard
transmission for a given MPH.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

>From: Kwoverby at aol.com
>Subject: <VV> Powerglide questions
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>What is the gear ratio of low and reverse for the powerglide? High would be

>1:1 I believe. Also, has anyone tried a reverse rotation powerglide?
Thanks,