<VV> removing a fitch roof

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Wed Apr 19 11:08:45 EDT 2006

Hello again,

     Yesterday I decided to start trying to get the Fitch roof off of my car to see what kind of mess is under it.  Since the roof is bonded onto the car this is more of a project then it should be so I could use some advice.

     First how many bolts/screws should there be, and where are they?  So far all I found is two at the rear of each wing, accessible from the engine compartment.  I would like to know where else I need to look.

     Second I could use some advice on how best to get the bonded edges up without destroying the fitch roof completely.  From what I see so far it was bonded into the car largely with fiberglass rather then bondo.  I was thinking of using a dremel to cut down to the steel all the way around the edges, but I dont know if this is the best way.  Someone also suggested using paint stripper around the edges.  My goal is to try to remove the fitch roof with a bit of extra material attatched to it, then trim and sand it back to where it should be.  If I have to destroy the Fitch roof I will, but I would like to have it on hand if I decide I want it later on.

Thanks,

Ray Rodriguez