<VV> Mortal Coil

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 19 11:17:01 EDT 2006

>A standard coil is designed to work on about 8V. That's the reason for the
>resistor- it drops the voltage with the ignition switch in the "run"
>position.
>
>Unless you are using a coil that is specifically designed to run on the full
>12V, a standard coil will overheat and ultimately fail. It's OK to put 12V
>on a standard coil for starting,

Hokay folks. The reason the coil is designed for 8V is so when the voltage
is drawn down by the starter during a cold start it will still have a good
spark. The resistor is bypassed when the starter is engaged.

The problem is that people would leave the key on (for the radio) with the
points closed and the engine stopped. This would flow current through the
coil constantly and needed to be controlled, when running the coil is
flowing half current or less. (30 degrees of dwell is a 50% duty cycle).

Now with a reflector-fed (magnet thingie) transistor ignition, if the
distributer shaft is not rotating, there is no flow through the coil.

Pertronics says different things about the Ignitor and the Ignitor II (I
have the II)

Ignitor: "First, if you have an external ballast resistor, connect the red
Ignitor™ wire to the ignition wire
prior to the ballast resistor"
Ignitor II: "Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistors or
resistance wires. To
achieve optimum performance we recommended removal of these
components."
(from support documents on http://pertronix.com )

I did have some issue with a hot (175F) running coil until I blocked the
opening in the shroud under the coil. Now it runs about the same as
compartment air temperature (also replaced the standard coil with a .6 ohm
Pertronix FlameThrower II).

So whether to keep the ballast wire/resistor depends on which Ignitor you
have. YMMV. Notary Sojac.

Padgett