<VV> Mortal Coil

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 19 11:59:09 EDT 2006

Interesting perspective. I'm using the Pertronix (not the "II"), so my
experience is limited to that one.

If you read all of the Pertronix instructions, they say that the unit needs
12V. It also says that if you leave the ignition switch on, the coil may
overheat, and the Pert may be damaged. And BTW, there IS current flow
through a Hall Effect transistor when power is applied to it, even if the
trigger magnets are not rotating.

So, the need for 8V at the coil when running is still valid, even with the
Pert installed. This voltage takes into account the 50% duty cycle.

Yes, Pert the instructions do say to connect the 12V prior to the resistor
wire. While this provides 12V to the Pert when the ignition switch is in the
"run" position, it does not when going to "start". If you look at the
Corvair wiring diagram(s), connecting the Pert red wire at this point
results in about 8V to the Pert when starting, just when you particularly
need the full 12V. This results because the Pert is getting it's voltage
back-fed through the resistor when cranking. That's why one needs a relay to
provide 12V to the Pert under cranking and running conditions. Note the
cautions about "low voltage" in the Pert instructions.

Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60