<VV> Mortal Coil

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 19 12:21:36 EDT 2006

At 11:59 AM 4/19/2006, Andy  Clark wrote:
>This results because the Pert is getting it's voltage
>back-fed through the resistor when cranking. That's why one needs a relay to
>provide 12V to the Pert under cranking and running conditions.

Not quite. You still have a direct forward connection to the battery
through the "hot in run and start" line. If not on a Corsa you would not
see the tach flick when cranking.

The problem is that when the starter engages, the entire battery is drawn
down typically to 9-10v and the full voltage is fed through the starter
solenoid "R" contact to the back side of the resistor.

For mine, I just tapped the ignition wire at the firewall connector (hot
side of resistor wire) and ran directly to the coil. Runs fine on my
110/PG. Now the power drawn by the PII goes up near linearly with RPM. My
connection is fine to 5,000 rpm (about 3.5 amp draw) but for higher speeds
I would suggest a relay and 14 gauge wire with a fuse directly to the
battery also.

Padgett