<VV> Re: Chromalusion paint

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Wed Apr 19 12:14:35 EDT 2006

Excellent post.

Norm Witte

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Rad Davis
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:37 AM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: RE: <VV> Re: Chromalusion paint

Meh.

Cromalusion, and it's ancestor candy-apple lacquer have the same purpose:
they make boring cars more visually interesting.  It's a relative of the "if
it doesn't go, chrome it," philosophy.

If the car has strong lines and great bodywork, paint it a dark, solid color
(or a dark fine-flake metallic) - black is fine, if a bit overdone.  People
who know bodywork and paint will respect your confidence, even if they don't
like your car.  The blacker the color, the more unforgiving it is of flaws
of bodywork, paintwork or design.

If the car has smooth, rounded lines and a good silhouette, paint it white
or some light color.  Pearls work well too.  Whites and pastels hide waves
and bondo lumps better, too.

If the car has boring lines and/or bad bodywork, paint it with something
silly that acts like the vehicular equivalent of loud floral wallpaper like
chromalusion.  Then you can't see how dull the car is because of the violent
color spray.  It's not an accident that factory two-tone and three-tone
paint jobs were most popular in the Eisenhower era, when cars had big slab
sides that needed to be broken up visually.

The reason the show car people go so nuts over this stuff is that they tend
toward cars that just don't have very interesting lines - 32-36 Fords being
a typical example.  Sadly, aerodynamic imperatives for fuel economy have
made a lot of newer cars look boringly alike, and they tend not to have the
strong lines of those built from 1935-1975.  They benefit from silly paint
too, but then a Nissan Sentra needs all the help it can get in any case.

Painting something like a well-done '59 Chevy, '72 Ferrari Dino, or '38
Talbot-Lago in Chromalusion is both a travesty and a waste of expensive
bodywork.

It's not an accident that almost all serious art photography is done in
monochrome.  You can't hide bad composition behind color when there isn't
any color.

Corvairs are, luckily, more visually interesting than most of their
competitors at the time.  We don't need stuff like this.  Falcon and dart
owners do.

Make mine Danube blue, thanks.

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_