<VV> Now paint colors

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 15:29:38 EDT 2006

I can't agree more.  I've also been surprised that a late looks good in
white, black, yellow, etc.  It helps that GM had an excellent bunch of
colorists in those days.  Many hues used by other companies seem to miss
the mark - the mopar yellows were usually too brown, for instance (unless
you go back into the '50s, when they were too butter-colored).

I think my least favorite late colors are the browns and greens from 68-69
and the reds for most years (too bluish).  There's a maroon I'm not too
fond of.  Other than those, most late colors tend to be good on all of the
body styles.  I grew up around a medium blue (originally Danube) '65
convertible (white top), and have had red and yellow late coupes over the
years.  All looked pretty good.  The Red car is actually paint-coded white
(black interior), but got repainted somewhere along the way.  I've thought
about putting it back stock, (after it leaves group red, of course), but I
think I'd have to have the Yenko stripes to save me from feeling like I was
driving a rental car or a pimpmobile in training.

The earlies have a sort of standing-up-on-their-toes perkiness.  I've
generally liked the looks of earlies in lighter colors or with strong
contrast colors in the interior.  The white/red and black/red combinations
look nice, as do the bright metallic blues (which were also quite
popular).  The coupe is definitely my favorite of the early body styles
because it's so unapologetically a coupé
  (which is French for a cut-down sedan body).

'60s came in both a nice robin's egg blue and a pretty decent red, among
some other less-exciting colors.  The less-vibrant interior colors on the
cave-vairs tend to make the bright exteriors look good.  I'm sad to say
that I don't like the chrome stripe on the 700s - it's painting
Shakespeare's lily.  Apparently I'm not the only one, since they didn't
carry it over to the Monza. But if you park even the plainest mouse-fur
gray '60 'vair beside a '60 valiant, the vair looks like great art by
comparison.

Thank you Harley Earl for hiring Bill Mitchell.  And thanks to Bill
Mitchell for the Corvair!

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_