<VV> Re: Charging A/C

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Apr 19 20:09:23 EDT 2006

>  Upon charging systen it was drawn down to 28-29" which it held without
> loss for a half hour.  Charging it, I can only get about a can and a half
> of 34 in it and the compressor locks up.  Belt is a little too tight if
> anything.  IDEAS ???

Dunno how much your system normally takes but you only use about 2/3 as
much 134 as 12. Did you flush the system, replace the dryer, and add the
134 oil first ?

Any system if you add liguid refrigerant too fast can hydro-lock. My
understanding of a new system is to start with about 16 oz (enough to carry
the oil) and take readings. Then add just one or two ounces at a time and
allow to stabilize while watching the pressures. Kinda like torquing heads,
you don't want to go all the way at once.

Finally some cars use a different oriface/expansion/POA valve for 134 than
12 but usually that causes poor performance and not lockup.

Padgett