<VV> oil slinger

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 20 00:44:06 EDT 2006

Hi Ralph,

Well, your finished before I could answer but here's a little post-mortem
addition for you.

One thing I do on engines I plan to tear down, that are new to my hands, is
to first re-torque to spec all the bolts on the assembly I plan to take
apart. Doing this will help to locate weak threads so they can be addressed
before reassembly.  Upon disassembly, look to see if any of the aluminum
threads have seized to the bolts, helicoil any you find, even if there are
threads deeper in the hole.  I don't think anything sucks more and is a
disappointing as a bolt or nut that is almost to torque suddenly becoming
easier to turn!!  I feel your pain!!  In the location you describe, if it
were me, I'd disassemble and helicoil it.  Alot of oil pressure around the
rear cover and also the remote chance drawing air into the oil pump intake.

On the rear cover, accessory adapter, top crankcase cover and bellhousing I
use a very thin coat of High Temp RTV.  I apply it directly to the gasket.
I put a little on my thumb and forefinger and pull the gasket between them.
I find this helps to put an even coat on both sides without creating too
much of a mess.  I'm careful especially on the rear cover gasket not to get
any on the flat areas that are not pinched between the cover and the
crankcase.  If you look at the gasket you'll see what areas of the gasket
are exposed to the oil flow, you don't want RTV on those, to easy for it to
get loose.

Anyway, that's my spin on it.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Ralph said:

>Also, what are your thoughts about using a bit of gasket sealer on the
timing cover and oil
>filter mounting pad gaskets?  A good idea or not? If I use it should it be
used on just one side >of the gasket or both? Thanks for your input.