<VV> PG engine into 4 speed car (clutch pilot bushing install)

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Thu Apr 20 01:02:47 EDT 2006

Very recent experience! My newly acquired 1963 Spyder was purchased it
with clutch disk disintegrated. I decided to upgrade and installed a
complete late clutch kit & bolted recessed flywheel in it.  Tapped the
new pilot shaft bushing in flush with crank. Tight fit on pilot shaft.
In hindsight i think at least one of the ends of the bushings ID's is
chamfered and should be outboard and driven in beyond flush.  About
1/16" - 1/32" inch. The pilot shaft shoulder(?) bearing on the bushing
created a "direct drive" link, meaning that with the clutch disengaged
the car crept forward slowly and could not be shifted at a standstill
with engine running.  I did not feel that I had "pulled down" the
differential when bolting it to the bell housing.

Several diagnosis were offered by the list for the symptoms that dealt
with improper geometry in the clutch. One seemed plausible, resulting
perhaps from an early (shorter) ball stud with late 64+, clutch in a
1963.  That does not appear to be the problem! Second diagnosis was,  a
tight new pilot shaft bushing that if driven some miles would loosen
up.  That did not work either! Power train out again, bushing spun
freely not only on the pilot shaft but evidence that the bushing itself
spun within the crank...now a finger loose fit! Some marks on bushing
suggested it was tight against the shoulder of the pilot shaft which I
surmise created the "direct drive" symptom.  Measurements suggested
that the bushing needed to be driven beyond flush about 1/32".
Examination of another engine affirmed that bushing was inserted beyond
flush.

My theory is that I did not seat the bushing deep enough and while I
had not noticed I must have drawn down the diff to the bell housing
with the bolts. That in combination produced the problem. Replaced new
bushing in below flush config.  Drove the car today "creep" symptom
gone but shifting is tight.  I replaced the plastic bushing on shift
rod linkage and hope that, in combination with some clutch adjustment
is contibuting to the shift difficulties.

If I do another clutch I think I will try to use a bushing driver that
will allow me to drive it below flush without deforming the bushing and
will assure that pilot shaft will turn freely after the bushing is
seated.  My first bushing was tighter fitting than the second one?

An afterthought.  I noted in the Junkyard Primer that the 60-63 4-SPD
pilot shaft is 23 1/4" and the 64-65 4-SPD is 23 5/16" not sure why the
difference in length if it is the differential or transmission that
necessitates the additional 1/16" and if or how a mismatch of pilot
shafts could have contributed to my problem.  My differential appears
to be 1963. A friend checked dimensions of pilot shaft but I'm not sure
at this writing what length it is.

Bill