Fwd: <VV> PG engine into 4 speed car (clutch pilot bushing install)

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 16:52:54 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/20/2006 1:15:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

> Hi Art,
> The best way to install the pilot bushing after lubing it with motor oil,
> is
> to place it on the end of the transmission input shaft and tap on the other
>
> end of this shaft with a small hammer.
> Regards,
> Bob Helt

Art and Bob,  I know a lot of guys do this, but bare metal against bare metal
is still risky--especially if the bushing gets cocked going in and you start
to hit the shaft harder with the hammer.  I use a block of wood (piece of 2x4)
between the shaft and a dead blow hammer (a hammer with a vinyl coated head
filled with lead shot)--though the first time I used a block of wood and a
regular hammer.  I also agree that soaking the busing in oil (put some inside then
hold it between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze to pressurize the
bushing) and cooling it in the fridge before installation make life easier.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa