<VV> Brake drum problem?

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 21 00:37:28 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,

The key to your question is the fact that there is no engine installed.  The
wheel bearings on early model Corvairs 60-64 are spherical roller bearings
meaning they can pivot as well as roll.  That is by design.  Notice that the
pivot point of the arm is different than the pivot point of the u-joint.  To
prevent binding, the bearing has to be able to pivot and roll.  This
pivoting is what causes the backing plate to be slightly misaligned with the
backing plate.  Normal!!  When the suspension moves through it's travel in
normal use, there are changes in both camber and toe, Normal for a Corvair.
Now, without an engine installed, the differential/transmission is allowed
to sag down causing the misalignment to the backing plate to be more
pronounced and allowing the axles to drag on the lower control arms.  When
the engine is in place, the backing plates shouldn't drag on the drums, nor
should the axle drag on the lower control arms.

I'd at least put something under the diff/tranny to support it while the
engine is out.  Better yet, put a support under each lower control arm and
remove the diff/tranny altogether.  Later, reinstall engine, diff, tranny as
a unit.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!