<VV> Rear window sealing

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Apr 21 20:38:38 EDT 2006

Ryan:

Taking a rear window out and reinstalling it is not as big a deal as a
windshield. Survival rate for removing and installing the "backlight" is
probably close to 100%. A windshield chips easily and the rate is
probably less than 50%.

I would recomend removal and reinstall. It does mean the oportunity to
buy a few more tools, a reval trim remover and a butyl tape cutter ( or
music wire and two sticks).

But, if you just want a reseal and don't mind the possibility of getting
messy, remove the plastic trim from inside the window. This is not what
you refer to as the gasket is it? If so, just replace it and be happy.

After the inside trim is removed, clean out the old damaged butyl tape.
With GOOD (automotive paint type or blue from Home Depot) masking tape,
tape off the glass and pinchweld area (including headliner), leaving the
~5/16" gap where sealer used to be. Buy a cartridge of windshield
urethane from the auto paint store or glass supplier. Yes, it is about
10 to 15$ a cartridge, and a GOOD caulking gun is also a good idea,
although a fresh tube of urethane should flow easily. Cut the tip to a
small hole (1/8 to 3/16") and apply the urethane to the gap area. You
may dress the urethane with a popsicle stick, or buy the special $1
plastic tool! Let it set up a little bit and then remove the tape being
VEERY careful not to get the sticky black urethane on the headliner,
upholstry, hands, clothes, etc.

There is a product called Scrubs In A Bucket that will take urethane off
your hands if it is not completely dry. It is recomended by glass
installers.

Ed:

Check your spelling. Glass is made of Silicates, not Silicone. Silicone
can be scraped off of glass very easily with a razor blade and a little
water or glass cleaner for lubricant. Same for urethane. Sticks like
glue ( oh yea, it is a glue) but removes cleanly with a razor blade and
lube.

Factory glass has been mounted with urethane sealer only, no butyl tape,
for at least 20 years. Robots have been taught to do it. Quite fun to watch.

Frank DuVal