<VV> First Injury of the Year - Please be careful out there!

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Apr 23 20:38:47 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Gilbert" <bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca>
. Not quite the plow but a 9/16 inch
> wrench attached to aiming straight down - pointy end down - which with eth
> weight of the plow behind it, drove it nicely into the palm of my hand.
> Sharp little blighter!!!
> Not life threatening but %$#@ painful and a wake up call.
> Bob
***************
Old Rule I Usually Ignore ...   Disconnect Hot Battery Lead before working
on car.

My beloved ( not ) Ranger recently decided not to spin it's starter .. so
naturally I ran the battery low making my decision(s) as to what was
actually wrong ... finally, had starter ( 130K miles )rewound and charged
battery, leaving it connected  ... after all, what could go wrong ?

Well, apparently the starter/coil solenoid ( on the fender) had stuck shut
at low voltage, so this energized that huge red wire thingy that hooks up to
the starter motor just before you are all finished ...   wow was that
impressive in the dark under that car  ... must have been about 200 amps on
that baby !!
I had the car on safety stands on front end .. but what if it were a manual
( it was not ) and had been left in gear ( oops ) and I had been successful
in emulating a hybrid for a few feet ...
ken in iowa, where god loves me ... or is setting me up ... ??

.. and yes, I am watching that fender solenoid, it may have been the
original naughty part ...