<VV> Oldest Corvair / serial numbers

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Apr 24 15:51:17 EDT 2006

Kent Sullivan, with the help of others, authored a heavily researched
article in the May 2005 Communique that gives the breakdown for '65-'67 body
tags.

Your car body was built in the fourth week of June--that's the 06D (sixth
month, fourth week).  The other D on that line is the interior paint code.
I believe D is red.

On the next line, "ST" stands for "style."  "65-10567" indicates that this
is a '65 Monza convertible.  "WRN" means that the car was built at the
Willow Run plant.  22625 is the Fisher Body serial number.

On the next line, "TR" stands for "trim."   785 is the interior paint color.
R-1 indicates the upper and lower body color code.  "R" indicates that this
car is Regal Red (the lower color) with a white top (the upper color).

W2M3C- :  "W" indicates that the car haw a tinted windshield only.  "2" is a
position code indicating that the next block of data has started.  "M"
indicates that this car has a Powerglide Automatic M35 transmission.  "3"
indicates the next block of data.  "C" is the code for a padded dash.

Did I describe your car correctly?

I have posted some of this information on my website, though I have not
attempted to update based upon Kent's article.  My website info can be seen
at http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/buildtag/index.htm

Norm Witte