<VV> Fuel Pump defect rate.

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Apr 25 15:34:11 EDT 2006

I'm not sure what the current failure rate really is (lower than it was
a decade or more back) but in my experience, if a pump lasts more than
about a month without leaking, it will last for years. The only
exception seems to be cars that sit for long periods of time and then
put back into use... they seem to almost restart the clock... if the
pump lasts a month after putting the car back in use, it will last a
long time.

I have ancient pumps on all of my Corvairs... which I trust more than
the new replacements on my shelves...

I'd say 5% failure in the first month isn't really all that high... in
the past few years I've experienced failures in the first month from
every company but one (who is no longer making pumps), so my effective
failure rate has been higher than that.

Bill