<VV> Fuel Pump defect rate.

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 25 17:07:37 EDT 2006

Hi Bill,

Discounting the period where they were failing right out of the box a dozen
or more years ago, my experience is that I generally get between 30,000 and
40,000 miles on average.  That does not seem like an excessive failure rate
to me.  I've not had one fail in the first month in at least ten years.

That (30 to 40) is an average over all my Vairs.  I put about 15,000 to
20,000 on the fleet each year and probably replace a pump about once every
other year.  As you know, all but one are stored in the winter.

And, I agree with your observation that a long parked vehicle "starts the
clock" anew.  Seems like that is a function of the pumps going dry and the
newer gasoline formulations.  Once you let the rubber dry out, the pump
seems to often go away in a hurry when put back into service.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (times 2)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140