<VV> Fuel Pump defect rate.

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Apr 25 18:59:58 EDT 2006

At 12:34 hours 04/25/2006, Bill Elliott wrote:
>I'm not sure what the current failure rate really is (lower than it
>was a decade or more back) but in my experience, if a pump lasts
>more than about a month without leaking, it will last for years. The
>only exception seems to be cars that sit for long periods of time
>and then put back into use... they seem to almost restart the
>clock... if the pump lasts a month after putting the car back in
>use, it will last a long time.
>I have ancient pumps on all of my Corvairs... which I trust more
>than the new replacements on my shelves...

My '60 4-door had the same pump on it that it evidently came with,
since when I got it the car looked like it had never been touched
(many years ago) although there was a fuel pump (used) in the
trunk...   and is still in the trunk.   It works, tried it out for a
while when the car exhibited issues like a bad pump  but turned out
to be a cracked rubber hose behind the driver side rear wheel,
sucking wind.   I put the original pump  back on and ran it for
another 5 years before the original engine spit out a valve seat
(which cocked sideways and bent the valve and cracked the piston and
scarred up the cylinder wall) so I replaced the 80hp with a 110 (for
the time being... until I eventually get around to fixing the
original engine).    I fully expect the 46 year old fuel pump to
still work when the '60 engine is repaired (someday) and put back in
the car... unless of course the 110 remains too good to make me take
it back out.

I had some smart-ass say "Are you sure that thing was worth putting
another engine in it?"

...jap-slap him across the chops if he messes around with my '60...

tony..