<VV> NHRA Import Nationals at Richmond VA(little Corvair)

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 27 19:53:35 EDT 2006

I took up Mark Wright's invitation to join him and his drag racing team at
the Import Nationals.  Mark is bringing his Corvair to Nelson Ledges and to
the convention.  Garret Turbochargers sponsors their team. They have a
Sunfire and a Cavalier FWD drag racers. The primary car runs about 180 mph
or so in 8.1 sec. It is the Ecotec(sp?) four cyl engine and puts out in the
neighborhood of 1300-1400 hp.  Very, very impressive operation.

 I really enjoyed watching the team at work.  Very professional. I learned a
lot.  I have looked at, been around,  and raced with a lot of cars-road
racing.  The quality and innovation they show on the cars is very
impressive.  I met Scott Kelley who used to race a VW bug and turned in the
10sec range on the motor.  He now races a Totyota for Toyo tires.  He used
to run Corvairs.  Talking to him about head gaskets etc was very
enlightening. He was running 15:1 cr.  I think talking to him will help my
engine efforts.

The team's hospitality was first rate. They were great.  They are next
scheduled for Englishtown next week or so. If you want to see a class act
and outstanding cars; engineering, data logging, craftsmandship, etc. go and
say hello to Mark. They are based in CA and this is their Eastern swing.

Chuck S
BBRT