<VV> government corvairs/geiger counters (no Corvair)

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 28 09:26:34 EDT 2006

Lon (et al) -

Survey meters as you described are pretty cool, but the problem is that
most of the ones offered for sale are either:
1. Low range ones (the meter measures in milli-Roentgens) that were
intended only for training.  These are neat to check out that uranium
ore you speak of, but most of them have gotten pretty beaten up over
the years.
2. High range ones (the meter measures in Roentgens) that are intended
for post-attack use.  Unless you live on the Belarussian/Ukrainian
border, these measure at such a high range that it's difficult to use
them for anything useful in the post-cold war.  If you do get a
measurable reading on them, the thing is either broken or you are in
danger.

Either one makes a cool shelf ornament, though :-)

Years ago, while a cadet in Civil Air Patrol, I took a government class
in radiological monitoring using the milli-Roentgen variety.  The
instructors would hide a radioactive source in the building (our
meetings were at the local Civil Defense center) and we'd have to go
find it with the survey meter. No problem.  I've still got the textbook
somewhere....

Jim Burkhard