<VV> government corvairs/geiger counters (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Apr 28 20:32:10 EDT 2006

At 06:26 hours 04/28/2006, burkhard at rochester.rr.com wrote:
>Lon (et al) -
>
>Survey meters as you described are pretty cool, but the problem is that
>most of the ones offered for sale are either:
>1. Low range ones (the meter measures in milli-Roentgens) that were
>intended only for training.  These are neat to check out that uranium
>ore you speak of, but most of them have gotten pretty beaten up over
>the years.
>2. High range ones (the meter measures in Roentgens) that are intended
>for post-attack use.  Unless you live on the Belarussian/Ukrainian
>border, these measure at such a high range that it's difficult to use
>them for anything useful in the post-cold war.  If you do get a
>measurable reading on them, the thing is either broken or you are in
>danger.

...like the radiac meters we used in the military...!   There were
several types, different ranges.    Some of the guys called the "big"
ones deathmeters, since when they went off, the indicator could be
interpreted as showing you how long you had left to live.

We also had radiac badges...  nobody much liked *them* either since
it seemed that they didn't really change color until you'd already
been cooking a while.

>Either one makes a cool shelf ornament, though :-)

Yep...   brings back fond memories...  ;)

tony..