<VV> Idle Time

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Apr 28 11:35:28 EDT 2006

Hokay, on further analysis one symptom when the idle dropped to 350 rpm was
that the choke pull off on the left carb fluttered and the one on the right
carb didn't. Putting finger on vacuum line I could feel a flutter and vac
gauge was swinging from 8" to 12" when connected to choke pull off on left
- 10-14 on right which means balance tube is working but issue is on left.

Probably has something to do with 75,000 miles and 40 years on clock.

Previously I had balanced the carbs exactly but since that didn't work I
tried unbalancing - added a half turn to the idle adjustment on left and
backed out 1/2 turn on right. Carbs are still synched off idle.

Result: 900 rpm in N and 600 rpm in D. More important it stayed at 600 rpm
for whole minutes without dropping to 350.

Not a good answer, rather a kludge but works for now. Flutter definately
makes me think it is a valve issue rather than a
vacuum leak and may be excuse for 95 hp heads to run 87 PON gas. Anyone see
a flutter in the choke pull off before ?

Padgett