<VV> Corvair trans? to VW chassis adaptor?

Jim Briggs jim_a_b3 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 20:35:05 EDT 2006

I'm hoping some of you can give me some insite into what I've run across
today. I answers and add for come corvair parts today and buried in the pile
was what I assumed was an old but never used adaptor for putting a Corvair
Trans and axles into a VW torsion bar rear suspension. There was an old
musch worse for wear Craown Catalog in the pile also which showed a similar
but not exact piece on ne of their conversion kits. This piece has an EM
axle bearing bolt pattern on the outer
surface of a 4inch tube (I assume for the axle itself) and what appears to
be a VW torsion blade bolt pattern on the inner surface.  There is also a
long triangular section for the shock attachment.

What is throwing me off is the inch diameter 12 long tube that project
inward. the end of it is internally threaded. The only thing that I can
think of is that there is or was another piece of this puzzle that bolted to
the VW "fork" that these two pieces bolted to.

Was this a Trans Vair piece?  I dod not see  this type of piece on the Crown
Catalog picute.

Any help appreciated!

Jim Briggs
3-LMs