<VV> Valve cover Racing

Gary Mierzwa vairzwa at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 20:40:25 EDT 2006

Ray Rodriguez" <reray at echoes.net> wrote: "Does someone out there want to
give me the rundown on what this valve cover racing is all about?  My
curiosity is killing me!"

Ray,  Valve cover racing is similar to the pine-wood derby cars the Boy
Scouts run.  The primary difference is the Boy Scouts use small wooded cars
and We use anything that will roll down the track, as long as a Corvair
Valve Cover is used somwhere in it's construction.  The key to winning seems
to be using the thinnest wheels with the highest quality bearings possable.
Some people (My Wife) just build fashion statements, and some people (Chuck
Armour) go crazy with 700 coats of black laquer with 1000 coats of clear.
One entry was a valve cover crushed down to fit inside a soup can or
something and rolled down the track.

Here are the rules used at the West Florida Corvair Club (WFCC) Corvair
Lovers Holiday, (The origin of the Corvair Valve Cover Race) and also the
rules posted for the Daytona Nationals, as copied from Smitty on VV

WFCC Rules

1.  Gravity powered only.  No motors, springs, jets Etc.
2.  5 lbs Max weight.  No minimum.
3.  Must have Corvair valve cover used in construction.
4.  Max length 16" and Max width 8" including tires.
5.  First car to reach the finish line, no matter how, wins. Lane hopping or
interference with competition is Okee dokee.

     Rubbing is Racing!

6.  If judged a tie, then re-run until a winner declared. Each re-run will
be
made in the opposite lane.
7.  Double elimination brackets.

WFCC  Race track Specs
1.  Track is 16 ft long end to end. Start end is approximately 3 1/2 feet
high (never really measured it). Each lane is approximately 10 inches wide.
2.  Start line is 16" from the top end, finish line is at the bottom of the
track (Ground zero).
2.  Track has side rails 1" high, no center divider. Just a painted stripe