<VV> Re: Parking Charges

Jeff Clark markii56 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 10:09:20 EDT 2006

Sorry, Sam, but there's an exception to every rule:
some CORSA members stayed at the Adam's Mark using a
military rate (which was less than the CORSA rate),
and that did not include free parking.

As to why hotels charge for parking, imagine you're a
business person that flew in and don't have a vehicle
with you- should you have the cost of parking included
in the cost of your room?  Hotel parking at a downtown
location is a large expense, considering the cost of
land and, in this case, having to maintain a garage.
Due to the large amounts of salt used in this area
during our "10-month winters," parking garages are
good for approx. 20-25 years.  We then tear it down
and build a new one.  In fact, a whole portion of a
30-year-old parking garage collapsed here in
Rochester, just a couple months ago.  The cause?
Deterioration of the steel supports inside concrete,
due to salt corrosion.

As for future conventions, I doubt you'll ever see one
in a downtown location again- just MHO.

Jeff Clark