<VV> Re: [fastvair] Buffalo Convention Report

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 13:54:39 EDT 2006

Regarding the distance to the autocross :
   There were no incidents at the autocross and we didn't have to crawl around in first gear and make lock to lock turns as in a hotel parking lot event. We got to brag about running on two ovals.
   I can recall hotel lots where cars hit light posts because CORSA members would not move their parked cars.
  A lot of autocrossers trailed their cars great distances as I did to Portland (2500miles) . We had autocross cars this year from Alaska and California. Up to a  one hour drive to a great sight is a MINOR inconvenience in comparison. I would say that a drive to the autocross site was less trouble (especially if not trailering) than a walk to the car show.

Warren

This being our first Corvair Nat'l. Convention - other than a few hrs. at
the Daytona 2000 event and same at the 1975(?) Atlanta event, we obviously have

no history to compare too.

However, some negative points are:

Same as David Clemens as to the room A/C at the Adam's Mark.  The  thermostat
could be punched down to say 68 (for sleeping), but it would kick  back to 72
- 74.  Not cool enough.  Did the hotel have some electronic  limit set on
this?  We switched rooms, which is always a hassle.  2  Bellhops came up to give

my wife a different room key and then did a 360 and  started to walk off.  She
had to press them to move our luggage.

Our bed felt like a sheet of plywood with a thin mattress pad over  it.
Isn't it amazing how many hotels will spend mega $$$$ on their  exterior and
common area appearances and put in the worst mattresses?

Yes, we had to park our car and trlr. in the fenced-in lock-up.  I  could get
to it in maybe 4 minutes from the hotel and yes, it was an  inconvenience,
but I WILL say that Jeff Clark has my sympathy for having to be  there at 6 AM
at least twice that I know of.  I guess we got lucky as he  was there all 3
times we had to get in.

The Autocross was way too far away but I went straight to it with no
miscues.  I thought that it would be tight and Mickey Mouse but it turned  out
to be
fast and fun.

No problem with the Concourse/Car Display as it was a good location and  only
a few minutes from the hotel but it would have been nice to be able to have
all of the cars available to check out throughout the entire event.  The  dark
parking garage for Corvairs Only negated that possibility.

As for the city, we MUCH prefer the older cities where there is a diversity
of architecture and interesting buildings to appreciate.  We drove all over
Millionaires Row and that area and also went to Lackawanna to see an incredible
 Church.  No, we're not religious.....just fascinated by old world
craftsmanship.

We had a couple of very mediocre meals at outside restaurants and a couple
of good ones, but give us an interesting single-location eatery anytime - over
such as Cracker Barrel, Applebees, Olive Garden, Outback, Chili's,
etc.,........ad nauseam.  What we call "Factory Food".  It's all the  same.

Our Tour to the Canadian side at the Falls was a great day even though we
balked at souvenirs priced 3 times normal going rate.  The Canadian wine  area,
winery/tasting, drive along the lower Falls river and visit to Niagara on  the
Lake for shopping were picture perfect.
Now we know why so many Florida residents really just come to Florida to  get
out of the cold as they would really rather be home up north in much nicer
surroundings.

On that subject, Canada was beautiful out in the country and they had just
about the best radio Jazz station we have encountered anywhere.....only Houston
 may be a close 2nd.  We were also quite surprised at how heavily populated
Canada was along the Lake Ontario route to the NECC/Mosport event.  Mayor
John Grey was a true gentleman and a really nice guy what a nice Stinger he
has.

Oh, did everyone at the Banquet get an award for something or other?   Seemed
that way..... or maybe it was just that it seemed to go on  endlessly.

I'd like to thank Brian O'Neill and all of the NECC guys for lining up
Mosport as that track was a real hoot.  I think I was laughing my a_s off  as I
was
throwing the car around there.  What a fun track.  Our only  negative for the
event was that we needed more Corvairs there and no "Fun-Run"  happened after
the event.  I was hoping to see if I could make my wife pee  her panties with
a couple of banzai laps and she was quite disappointed.

We will give the Convention an overall "near excellent" rating - since we
managed to diversify our days and didn't suffer any serious  disasters.  Thanks
to all of the 4 clubs organizers for what we know was a  Herculean effort to
get it done and the Hospitality Room was MUCH  appreciated.

However, we will not be seen at a National again until Jacksonville  2009.
Just WAY too expensive to travel that far.

Also.  Thanks David (Clemens).  I knew the car would take a  trophy or two.

Mary & Joe Dunlap
Lady Lake, Florida
'64 Monza vert & '69 500 coupe (SM class)

This list is for racing/modifying our Corvairs,and to buy/sell parts.
for archives, edit your membership(digest,unsubscribe)
Post message: fastvair at yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/