<VV> Permitted Helmets on Track-other CLubs

Garth Stapon corvair2 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 21:56:44 EDT 2006

Group:

The irony on helmets is that I recently read an article in a reputable motorcycle Mag that stated that DOT helmets actually offered a higher degree of protection when compared with a Snell rated unit as they were more likely to give a bit on impact versus not budge at all.

It kind of reminds me of the benefits of a crumple zone.

After reading it, I bought two Bell open face with DOT ratings. I had always made a Snell rating a prerequisite previous to this article.

It changed the way I look at helmets. The less expensive DOT rated unit protected the head better than the high buck Snell units! Weight also played a significant factor as all the Snell units were heaver and they were concerned about what that might do to your head and neck under similar circumstances.

I tried to get a link but was unable to do so. It was within the last 12 months and I believe it was in Cycle Guide.

Regards, Garth Stapon