<VV> FIRST TIME POST

Jim jimj at heritagemillworkinc.com
Thu Aug 3 18:19:59 EDT 2006

Not sure why I avoided the Virtual Vair Site...perhaps a result of
spending to much time on the confuser already...but thought I would
check it out on my break today...found myself joining yet another
faction of the corvair community.

Obviously the past week has been filled with feedback regarding the
convention...Buffalo being my 6th in a row and another convention
enjoyed.

Read much criticism as well as praises on virtual vairs today...my
thought-I was on vacation for 10 days with nothing to worry about except
if I was going to see all the cars at the concours and what beer I was
going to have at the Pearl Street Brewery on any given night (excellent
food, beer and service at reasonable price).  Sure I found myself not
satisfied with my bed...or the ice machines...or the pricing of the
hotel food...but does it pay for me to worry and complain about such
trivial items?  I certainly was better off than the deaf couple featured
in the Buffalo Newspaper who could not hear the stream of rats that
inhabited their home while they slept.

To me the cars, the people and the host city are the focal point.  The 4
clubs as hosts did a wonderful job...and for the effort put forth I
applaud them...I being somewhat young at 36 years of age, shudder at the
thought of the amount of work necessary to pull something off of this
magnitude.  Hard work, sleepless nights, the headaches, etc...and not
just during the week of the show...but for the year leading up to it.
And to mix in the everyday stresses of being a father, husband, mother,
employee, etc...I really cant say enough good things.

The cars...a cornucopia of vintage tin...seemed to be more lates than
earlies though...but for early converts I was not disappointed.  Nothing
better than an entire park filled with corvairs...wish I had one there.

The people...met some new folks...usually introduced to by my Dad who
seems to know everyone...as well as saw some familiar faces.

The city...buffalo is certainly an old, industrial city...reminiscent of
parts of Chicago, St. Paul etc...but I was not disappointed by the
architecture (one of my passions) and our travels to the finger lakes
region.

Other things I would like to throw out...

Parking...someone mentioned that in the future there should be corvair
only parking with security etc...my thought is there could be a worse
idea for attempting to lure others into our corvair web.  What i have
always enjoyed as an attendee was to head out after dinner...with my
gal, dad or best friend...and look at the cars in the lot.  Obviously
there are folks that have tens of thousands invested and would prefer
not to park alongside an 87 escort...but for the betterment of CORSA
this is free advertising and promotion of our cars and club.

Youth movement...noticed some younger faces in the crowd this
year...just wondering if CORSA has thought about a board comprised of
the under 30 crowd that can act as a sounding board for their
generation.  I belong to MSRA (minnesota street rod association) and
they have a spinoff off the main club named "The Ignitors" which is made
up of all rodders 26 and younger and has an elected voice on the main
board.

Some other things related to the youth movement that could be
applied....  apparel....seems we have had some nice additions to the
CORSA merchandise stable...however...just wonder if anyone has thought
about adding more t shirt/sweathsirt colors to the line up?  Black, in
terms of jersey sales of professional sports teams, outsells all other
colors combined...perhaps the CORSA logo on black, gray or some other
colors may produce more sales thus sparking more interest.  Apparel can
be a walking billboard 365 days a year...other items that could
compliment our current selection might be necessary as well...long
sleeved t's are perfect for fall and spring, hooded sweat jackets...when
have you not seen a 20 something not wearing one?

Anyways...spent the last hour of my work day typing...now more to do
tomorrow.   Much of the above are just thoughts...but I believe that is
the main reason behind this web site ... to toss it out and see if it
sticks with someone.

Thanks again for a great convention and club
Jim Johnston