<VV> adjusted valves cold

Larry Forman Larry at Forman.net
Fri Aug 4 09:35:26 EDT 2006

At 05:59 AM 8/4/2006, Paul Abel wrote:
>Thanks to all the sugestions to cold adjust my valves. I followed
>your instructions. Tightened rocker until no lash, then tightened
>one quarter of a turn. Reinstalled valve covers. Car now starts
>great, and idles, but clattering like crazy. I don't think I
>tightened them enough. Guess I'll try it hot and running. Guess I'm
>having roasted forearm for lunch today:)
>-Paul Abel-

Hi Paul,
NOOOO!   Please drive the car for maybe a half hour or so until it is
hot and all lubed up and see what happens.  This is one of those
unique Corvair things.  My guess is that it will either get a whole
lot better or maybe just clatter when starting up.  Don't be tempted
to adjust them quite yet.  Only after running it awhile should you
consider adjusting them, and even then, do it again cold but with a
bit more range, maybe a half turn or so.

Larry