<VV> How Do I Unstick My Odometer

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Aug 4 11:02:50 EDT 2006

<snip>When I got the car, the speedo cable was broken. I've since replaced it
and the odometer does not move. It is stuck at 19945.9. How can I weasel a
wire or otherwise access the odometer and un-stick it?

While on the subject/area of odometer. The speedometer is quite erratic,
especially at speeds over 50 MPH. Is this going to settle down with use, or am I
destined to remove and clean or replace? Tom <Unsnip>

Your odometer cannot be "unstuck".  The little gears with their 45-year old
dry grease have given their last and are stripped out. The speedometer bearings
are also sticking and that's why your speedo needle is erratic. They stick
and wind-up your new cable then release, which causes a momentary surge in
indicated speed.  It's quite likely that your sticking speedo head helped with the
failure of your original speedo cable.  At any rate, it's time to take out the
dash and send the speedo to a shop for repair or replace it with another
unit. If you don't want to do that, you might try pulling the cable shaft and
greasing it with lubriplate.
Craig in Coeur d'Alene