<VV> Re: STARTER ISSUES

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 05:36:05 EDT 2006

i want my starter to be as reliable as possible.  if it clicks or  fails one
time , i want to get that thing off the car and see why. it must not  let me
down away from home and embarrass me and the corvair name!
anyhow i would start by replacing the solenoid as you said it has a loose
main terminal.  it must make contact with a terminal to to solenoid coil  inside
plus be the heavy current contact to feed the motor. if its loose no  current
to the coil. but bad brushes and a worn or dirty commutator can cause a
"click only" syndrome also.  sooo i would get into it soon to check it ALL  out. i
go thru them cleaning them well , cleaning each slot of the commutator ,
replacing brushes , bushings as needed ,then lubeing them . clean the solenoid
armature and make sure it works freely.  make sure the little pin inside  the
solenoid is not broken or binding , it has to move a contact inside the
solenoid only when fully engaged to put the full 12 volts to the coil.  if  it binds
it will not let the main contacts make a full low resistance connection  to
the starter motor section. its quicker to do it right the first time than to
do it twice or get caught on the road...
regards , tim (been there done that ) colson