<VV> BMW ad...yes, Corvair content

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 7 07:30:02 EDT 2006

Just for your amusement, at least in Europe, BMW also claims the first
production turbocharged car. When questioned about the Jetfire and
Corvair, they sometimes revert to "first successful turbocharged
production car" and then, when reminded about how many turbos the
Corvair sold, the "first modern production turbocharged car"... but then
they also think that the little front wheel drive BMW they build is
somehow related to the Mini Cooper that won Monte Carlo... ;-)

Seriously though... I have always seen a lot of similarities between the
BMW 1602/2002 (which they consider a 2 door sedan and is what they are
referring to in the ad) and the Corvair... and for a while (haven't kept
up with the classes lately) the BMW 2002Tii was one of the primary
opponents of the Corvair in SCCA ITA road racing...

Full disclosure though... my wife and I both drive older 3 series (E30
and E36) as daily drivers... I do think they represent the kind of car
that the Corvair could have easily evolved into...

Bill